Sunday, May 5, 2019

Time - a poem

As I was scrolling through my OneDrive, I came across a couple of lyrics that I had written for a song I was trying to write, but ultimately abandoned it. Upon reading it months later, a friend of mine inspired me to revisit my lost passion for poetry. 



Drowning in emotions, like I'm in an ocean, I cannot breathe. 
Unparalleled devotion to constant self-erosion, what lies beneath, 
The days of doubt, weeks of sadness, Months of anger, and years of lifelessness, 
I’ve gathered that I’ve been here before, many times before. 
With anxiety as high as the sky and self-esteem lower than the floor. 
There were days when I didn’t think I'd make it, 
There were days, weeks, months, and years when I didn’t think I’d make it. 
Clocks make no sense to me as I have no real grasp on the concept of time. 
One hour is a day, one day is a week, and one week is a month, 
Allowing myself to give in to infatuation has always been a climb, Atop a mountain that’s never been quite real, though always real enough to touch me. 
Yes, a mountain that’s never been quite real, never real enough to love me.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ashley,

    You just gave me a ride in the hoboken area. We talked about blogging and social media for a little bit. I was having a really rough day and talking with you was like a breath of fresh air. Please continue to write and be consistent. This is a beautiful poem and you really have a knack for writing.

    Best
    Shilpa

    ReplyDelete